Abbeylara Cistercian Abbey
Abbeylara Cistercian Abbey dates from the 13th century. The ruins of the abbey and its graveyard are open to the public and located 3.5km south-west of the town of Granard.
History of Abbeylara Cistercian Abbey
Dating from the Middle Ages, Abbeylara Cistercian Abbey was founded in 1205 by Norman king Risteárd de Tiúit (anglicised as Richard Tuite). His remains are said to have been laid to rest here after he died in 1210.
Much earlier in Abbeylara, it is said that the original Mainistir Lerha (or Abbey of Lara) was founded by St Patrick, who appointed St Guasacht its first abbot. Like many monasteries in County Longford, it was likely built on the site of a much earlier Christian church.
The Abbey was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, typical of Cistercian monasteries. It was considered a ‘daughter house’ of St Mary’s Abbey in Dublin, which colonised the monastery in 1214. It grew to be an abbey of importance in the region, owning extensive lands and parish churches.
The church interior has a Sheela-na-gigs (or Síle na Gig), grotesque carvings depicting wizened hags, usually nude and prominently displaying their sex. This is located on the south wall. The majority date from the Middle Ages and are usually associated with church buildings. They are thought to be talismans guarding the faithful against the temptations of the flesh.
Externally, the main living space for the monks would have been in the cloister, located to the south of the chapel. The cloister held ranges of rooms positioned around a central open space known as a ‘garth’. The cloister hosted spaces for study and meditation as well as sleeping quarters.
Throughout the 15th century, repairs and changes to the structure are evident. This is supported by the fact that in 1410 and 1435 the Pope allowed funds to be raised for its repair through the selling of indulgences.
The Abbey is surrounded by a historic graveyard with a range of stone memorials dating from the 16th century to the 20th century.
The monastery was dissolved by 1550. In 1552, a lease of lands including the monastery was granted to Baron of Delvin, Richard Nugent.


Contact Details
- 0433349853
- info@spiceindia.ie
- 8-9 Ballymahon St, Townparks, Longford, N39 XE95, Ireland
Manage Consent
To provide the best experiences, we use technologies like cookies to store and/or access device information. Consenting to these technologies will allow us to process data such as browsing behaviour or unique IDs on this site. Not consenting or withdrawing consent, may adversely affect certain features and functions.
Functional
Always active
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
Preferences
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
Statistics
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes.
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
Marketing
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.
