Longford Town Courthouse
Longford Town Courthouse is one of the most imposing buildings in the town’s streetscape. In its current form, it dates from the early 1790s when it underwent enlargement.
However, as far back as 1737, there are references to a courthouse that is assumed to have been on part of the same site. The building was renovated in the period 1859-61, including the addition of the top storey.
As well as fulfilling its primary function, the courthouse was the meeting place of the Co. Longford Grand Jury, which acted as a local authority with responsibility for roads, bridges and some public buildings until 1899. It is interesting to note that the building also housed other activities.
In 1824 there is reference to the Longford Bible Society meeting here; and in 1851, the Theatre Royal opened in it. For many years, after 1899, the building also had the offices of Longford County Council and Longford Town Council, and in that sense it fulfilled the role of a town hall. The courthouse reopened in 2006 after extensive refurbishment.