Located on the shore of Lough Gowna, Derrycassan Wood is ideal for walks and cycling. It comprises 74 hectares of mixed woodland, with species including sitka spruce, Norway spruce, beech and many others.
There is also an impressive variety of flowers, including a carpet of bluebells in late spring. There are three recommended walking routes in the wood: the ‘nature trail walk’, the ‘walled garden walk’ and the ‘main avenue walk’.
Derrycassan Wood encloses the site of Derrycassan House, which was the home of the Dopping family, later Dopping-Hepenstal, who were the local landlords. Dating from the mid-1700s, the house was demolished in 1938 and the stone used to construct the new St Columba’s Church in nearby Mullinalaghta.
The site of the house, consisting of the remains of a cellar and some bricks, is visible when taking both the ‘main avenue’ and ‘walled garden’ walks.
The remains of the walled garden are close to the site of the house. Further along the ‘main avenue’ walk, up the slope to the right is a ringfort or rath.
Derrycassan Wood is open to the public. Parking is at the entrance next to the GAA pitch. There is access onto Lough Gowna at 53.818677, -7.550210
There is no direct public transport to Derrycassan. The nearest town is Granard, and the closest village is Dring.